Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kharagpur in 1940 & Back



When we went back on 1940 and little more , we found that British  planned to develop a town which is near to Kolkata .The main purpose to setup railway junction was to avoid the excess pressure on Calcutta ,which is the prime port for eastern trade of British also to avoid pressure, if the japan bombing in Kolkata. Kaliakunda airbase was an strategically plan by the British to avoid the Japanese threat from east side and this based used by the British and American Air force during the second world war  to bombing the Japanese  occupied area  and to stop there ground force to enter British occupied India.
You can realize the importance of kaliakunda base, this base use in second world war, in 1965 and in 1971 .I heard many stories from my grandfather (Mr. Dinanath Singh) who was working in kalikunda base as an technical staff about how the east Pakistani aircraft attack in kalikunda base and how the IAF fighter short the pak plane after big dog fight. In 1971 war this base played a crucial role in the freedom of Bangladesh, and the prompt action of the IAF there was no causality happened as like 1965.
As kharagpur is centrally located, therefore British buildup railway factories here based on raw materials from near about area and technical know-how from Kolkata engineering belt .Same pattern was followed by the first independent Indian Govt. after the suggestion by the CM of West Bengal (Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy) to set-up the first IIT of India .As kharagpur developed as a main railway junction of South East zone so there were many British officers were many appointed in this town. After independence most of the British family leaves kharagpur but still here some Anglo Indian community lived near puri gate area.
In this post you I can give you some information and pictures of 1940 and back kharagpur.


 (159 WYNNE AVENUE HOUSE still exist and alloted to RLY staff this house is near to Main Hospital Kharagpur)
 (159 WYNNE AVENUE other house /near RLY Main hospital Kharagpur)
 (Front view of WNNE Avenue house )
(This bunglow exist near south institute cinema hall)
(Apprentice home used for training of new rly recruiting staff/this house still used and known as RLY training institue exist opposite of CHANDMARI genral hospital)

(This church exist near SERSA stadium kharagpur)


(EUROPEAN SCHOOL  known as SERLY MIXED High School in New Settlement near Puja Complex ,Big Bazar)
(European Hospital now known as Rly Main Hospital Kharagpur)

(These Bungalow now used by the SERLY Staff Quarter south side Kharagpur)


(Indian Institute known as Officer Club of Kharagpur beside St. Agnes school khargpur)
(This building exist in Bilimoria petrol pump)


(Kolaghat Rly Bridge)






11 comments:

  1. Hi Hirakant, My Father (Rex Naug) was born and raised in Kharagpur. His Father (Archibald Naug), was an Engineer at the Railway Workshops. My family is planning a trip to India to visit. I have the address of their house as 810, West End, Kharagpur. I think this must be in the railway settlement. My Father passed away earlier this year so I'm unable to ask him. Would you know of anyone who might be able to assist in locating this address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this plase still here name of south side kharagpur if u nd u can contact me i live here 917001333914

      Delete
    2. yes anytime when you come just inform me in hira26august@gmail.com i send my number or contact who help you.I lived kolkata and went to kharagpur weekend or on occassion to meet my parents.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the Lovely photos !!! .Brought back my memories. I am V.Nandakumar born and brought up at 155, first avenue , kharagpur. My father worked at DS office as Dy Chief Controller. I studied at Railway boys multipurpose higher secondary school after studying at Development school .I was born in 1952 and presently live in Bangalore . If anyone can send photo of 155 , first avenue Kharagpur , (next to Guards Running room,), I shall be very grateful . My fathers name is R.V.V.Iyer . My mail i d is 06121953vnk@gmail.com and my mob no is : 7624947307

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was from the third batch of IIT and was in KGP from 1953 to 59. The colony was well maintined then and the South Institute brimmed with life. I went there again recently and found the colony is run down, badly maintained and dirty. A great pity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in kharagpur in 1959 my residence then was at 620 south side.Later on I stayed at
    760-A, Wynne Court which is . near to jhapatapur .I studied at sermhs school from class IV to XI in the year 1969 to 1975

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Sitaraman Iyer, studied in SE Railway Boys' Multipurpose Higher Secondary School, and left Kharagpur in 1978. Presently I am a Practicing Chartered Accountant in Nagpur. My contact No 9422803328 and WhatsApp is 9730167691. Pls send KGP snaps 9f that time 8f anyone has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valuable post to which I could relate myself in many ways. I stayed in IIT Kgp campus for 10 years (1963 to 1973) whose break-up is: 5 years of schooling- Silver Jublee High School (class 7) + Hijli High School (Class 8 to 11) + 5 years in IIT Kgp (Mech Engg). My father was in IAF and was posted at IIT Kgp Air Wing NCC and that made me a 'Campus Boy' as my IIT mates lovingly called me though I stayed in Nehru Hall during my IIT days (1968 to 1973).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful God bless you most of the Anglo Indian have migrated to australia and some to Canada UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about the old air port as children we plucked wild berries there I found o world war two cannon ball in our house at IIT Kharagpur and donated to IIT Kharagpur

    ReplyDelete